Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mama Drama

Yep, that is right. I've got some drama to deal with. Ok, I shouldn't say it is really drama but it is all about me. Ah, these wonderful kids really did a number on me physically. Let's start from the beginning.

Some of you know I have been battling recurring mastitis. Something I don't really like to talk about b/c I get the whole, "Why don't you quit?" line from people. The truth of the matter is Ian isn't ready to wean & sometimes as a parent, you do what you have to do to provide. Sure, he is almost 15 mths old BUT he is also the babe that is most susceptible to getting sick & it affecting him greatly so w/ that said, we are still truckin'. He only nurses twice a day, which is fine by me. I love the cuddle time. Don't worry, the girls get PLENTY of mommy time throughout the day.

Back to the topic. Sorry about that. Recurring mastitis. I think that my 1st bout from back in Feb was not treated correctly. Nothing against Dr. A's nurse but from everything I have gathered, treatment should be 10-14 days & I only got 7 days worth so of course the mastitis came back again in March. Same course of treatment. Then again in April, May & now June. Hmft. What gives? I decided it was time for a 2nd opinion.

I went to my GP this time. I also went in armed w/ information as to why *I* thought I was getting it over & over again. She is a smart lady, I tell ya. She beat me to every single thing I was going to point out. I'm going to get bloodwork next week on Wed to check for anemia which I think I still have left over from the pregnancy. She also believes that there is a primary infection, likely MSRA, that is causing the mastitis to return over & over again since it is the resistant strain that I keep getting. We are treating that now w/ 3 wks of ointment in my nose. EWE.

While I was there, she went ahead & did a breast exam. Here comes the drama. Ok, not really but yeah. She found a lump. Yep. A lump. Not too worried though. I have had a cyst removed in the past, about 7 years ago so this isn't unfamiliar territory. I go next week for a mammogram. Yay for boobs getting squooshed (um, ok, not really yay). I also get an ultrasound on the left breast. Loads of fun, eh?

Laying down on the table reminded me about my ab muscles. See, I am pretty sure they separated w/ the pregnancy & so I asked her to check. Yep. Sure do have some separation right down the middle. I have to say, it has gotten better but you can definitely tell. Well, as she was pushing down on my abs, she asked if a certain area hurt. Um, no. She looked at me & said I had a hernia. HA! You have got to be friggin' kidding me?!? Jesus! Anything else?

So that's my story & I'm stickin' to it. Wish it weren't so but it is. I'm not stressing about it. What will be, will be.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Hey Astrid, I have a hernia in my belly button! It is SO ugly and protrudes. I think surgery is my only option. Won't be doing that for awhile. What did they say about yours?

mrstank said...

I'm so sorry to hear all the mama drama, but I couldn't resist commenting about how great it is when a doctor is WITH YOU on what you need and not cutting corners or making mistakes. I know errors happen but they are happening too often in the medical field.

I will be praying that the lump is another nothing. Hugs!

Astrid said...

Samamtha ~ She didn't say much. Would give me a couple of names to some general surgeons so that when I was ready to do the surgery, I would be set up.