Thursday, June 18, 2009

Mama Drama

Yep, that is right. I've got some drama to deal with. Ok, I shouldn't say it is really drama but it is all about me. Ah, these wonderful kids really did a number on me physically. Let's start from the beginning.

Some of you know I have been battling recurring mastitis. Something I don't really like to talk about b/c I get the whole, "Why don't you quit?" line from people. The truth of the matter is Ian isn't ready to wean & sometimes as a parent, you do what you have to do to provide. Sure, he is almost 15 mths old BUT he is also the babe that is most susceptible to getting sick & it affecting him greatly so w/ that said, we are still truckin'. He only nurses twice a day, which is fine by me. I love the cuddle time. Don't worry, the girls get PLENTY of mommy time throughout the day.

Back to the topic. Sorry about that. Recurring mastitis. I think that my 1st bout from back in Feb was not treated correctly. Nothing against Dr. A's nurse but from everything I have gathered, treatment should be 10-14 days & I only got 7 days worth so of course the mastitis came back again in March. Same course of treatment. Then again in April, May & now June. Hmft. What gives? I decided it was time for a 2nd opinion.

I went to my GP this time. I also went in armed w/ information as to why *I* thought I was getting it over & over again. She is a smart lady, I tell ya. She beat me to every single thing I was going to point out. I'm going to get bloodwork next week on Wed to check for anemia which I think I still have left over from the pregnancy. She also believes that there is a primary infection, likely MSRA, that is causing the mastitis to return over & over again since it is the resistant strain that I keep getting. We are treating that now w/ 3 wks of ointment in my nose. EWE.

While I was there, she went ahead & did a breast exam. Here comes the drama. Ok, not really but yeah. She found a lump. Yep. A lump. Not too worried though. I have had a cyst removed in the past, about 7 years ago so this isn't unfamiliar territory. I go next week for a mammogram. Yay for boobs getting squooshed (um, ok, not really yay). I also get an ultrasound on the left breast. Loads of fun, eh?

Laying down on the table reminded me about my ab muscles. See, I am pretty sure they separated w/ the pregnancy & so I asked her to check. Yep. Sure do have some separation right down the middle. I have to say, it has gotten better but you can definitely tell. Well, as she was pushing down on my abs, she asked if a certain area hurt. Um, no. She looked at me & said I had a hernia. HA! You have got to be friggin' kidding me?!? Jesus! Anything else?

So that's my story & I'm stickin' to it. Wish it weren't so but it is. I'm not stressing about it. What will be, will be.

3 comments:

Samantha said...

Hey Astrid, I have a hernia in my belly button! It is SO ugly and protrudes. I think surgery is my only option. Won't be doing that for awhile. What did they say about yours?

Kerrie (Kat) Tankersley said...

I'm so sorry to hear all the mama drama, but I couldn't resist commenting about how great it is when a doctor is WITH YOU on what you need and not cutting corners or making mistakes. I know errors happen but they are happening too often in the medical field.

I will be praying that the lump is another nothing. Hugs!

Surviving Triplets said...

Samamtha ~ She didn't say much. Would give me a couple of names to some general surgeons so that when I was ready to do the surgery, I would be set up.