Pages

Monday, May 11, 2009

The Signing Queen

Gabi has really taken off w/ signing. They all can do "all done" but she seems to be the one that really uses signing to communicate. She uses "more" & "milk" on a regular basis & has been adding words to her signing vocabulary such as "mama", "dada", & "baby". I've been trying to capture them on video.

If there is any doubt in your heads whether to teach this to your children, this is proof that persistence & repetition works. We have been signing milk since they came home from the NICU. We added words as we have gone along the way. It really isn't hard to pic a few that you think would be good to use & just do them when you are doing the activity.

For example, when the kids want more of something I ask them & do the sign for it. You will see me in the video modeling the sign for them. Another thing we do is let the kids watch Baby Einstein's My First Signs w/ their bedtime bottle. This is the only tv they watch all day. Gabi has picked up quite a bit from the video alone!





If you have any questions or want to know how to get started w/ signing, please let me know! I would love to help you out!

No comments: